Subject: Re: [Leica] Carry On Bags (canadian)
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 19:30:48 +0000

Tim,
Read the article, but have been faced with the size restriction for some
time.  The real killer for us is the weight.

 I've worked this last year to simplify what I am using even for
corporate jobs.  I've gotten gear down to:
- --one camera bag with two SLR bodies and 5-6 lenses and one M body and 2
lenses, two small strobes,filters, meters, etc..  Really dense and
heavy.

- -- and one Tamrac roller bag with tripod/ballhead, three Domke light
stands, 2 tota lites, two smart strobes, one V285, 3 quantum batteries,
radio slaves, and lots of AAs, more filters, polaroid back, tool kit,
super clamp and strobe clamps, 2 PC lenses and more.  This thing fits
perfectly in the overhead, but I do have to make an effort not to
grimmace getting it up there.  It is dense.  It could be checked or put
under seat.  I carry about a hundred rolls of film in the outside
compartment.  It won't go through security with the film bulging out,
but I take it out for inspection and put it back on the other side.
Slick.

Clothes get checked.

So what do we do if the weight restrictions get really bad???  Well, at
least we understand the ability of Leica Ms.  I have shipped cases (200
pounds), but it is both expensive, inconvenient and restrictive for the
schedule.

It is hard seeing budget restrictions cutting assistants traveling with
and then squeezes from the airlines.  No win.  At least with above kit I
can get on and off plane, and get to car rental with out serious
security problems.  Impossible to travel alone with six bags weighing
300 pounds total--you can't get to the car rental even in most airports.

I wonder what  100 rolls of film weighs?

Canadians are gonna have to come to the US on dog sleds!

donal
Donal Philby
San Diego
www.donalphilby.com