Subject: [Leica] M winders
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 12:56:46 -0700

I just had an interesting conversation with Gerry Smith of Kindermann Canada
regarding M winders. I was having problems with my camera underexposing part
of the frame and also occasional horizontal "light streaks." As I was about
to head off to Victoria, that bastion of all that is proper and Ted, I sent
it off express for Gerry to look at. The camera checks out fine! Gerry told
me that this is a common problem when the Ms are used with the winder,
slower shutter speeds (1/60 and under) and the winder is used continuously
(light pressure maintained on the release button). He does not recommend
that the winder be used continuously at all, only as a single shot device.
It is important to take your finger off the release button after each
exposure or things go awry with the shutter mech. Every time I had a
problem, it was with the winder hooked up and used continuously so it is
hard to fault his diagnosis. Anyone else out there experience this as well?

John Collier