Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica in Vietnam
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 13:10:00 -0500

At 10:17 AM 3/9/2000 -0000, B. D. Colen wrote:
>Brady, hell...how about the photographers in WWII who were still using
>"Speed" Graphics...

Combat photographers in Korea still used Speed Graphics, as they did early
in the Viet-Nam era.  These are the military fellows I am speaking of.  I
knew a number of the Korean-era guys who worked at the Baltimore
NEWS-AMERICAN in the middle '70's:  and they were STILL using cut-film
cameras.  One of 'em told me, only half in jest, that he couldn't see going
down in quality to one of those "little" cameras like a Rolleiflex.

Of course, the NEWS-AMERICAN went bankrupt a year or two later and their
restricted photo content may well have been a reason!  But it was
refreshing to meet professional photograhers as eccentric as these guys.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!