Subject: RE: [Leica] M6 It's a good camera. Good. But great? No.
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 15:32:05 -0000

Thomas, B.D.,

I often think of myself as a 'crap' guy, but I know my Leica is a 'great'
camera.
Is this contrary to your definition? ;-)
But I'd agree that the pictures don't get any more interesting when the
camera gets more expensive.

There was a lovely illustration of this in England many years ago with a
photographer on one of the national photo weeklies, 'Picture Post'. The
photographer, Bert Hardy, asserted to the editor that it was the
photographer rather than the camera which made the picture whereupon his
editor sent him out with a box brownie to bring back something good enough
to run in the magazine.
The classic shot of 2 (youngish) ladies sitting on some railings at the
seaside was the result, I think one had  an ice cream cornet and one was
wearing a polka dot dress, the wind was blowing too, a classic picture.

I also recall going out for a college lesson with a simple 127 plastic
Brownie and bringing back a lovely picture of a fire engine storming round a
corner. If I'd have had a more complex camera I know I would have stopped to
think about, exposure, shutter speed and aperture before firing the shutter
and I'd have missed the shot. That brought home to me the truth of leaving
the camera pre-set for the prevailing conditions, always ready to fire.

And as if two illustrations weren't sufficient, I can say that some of my
best photography was done with my screw thread Leicas before I acquired my M
and SL gear.

regards,
Jem

	" every camera is just as good as the person who use it... "

> thomas böhm
> imst, austria
>
> Let me suggest a slightly different way of putting this...
	" No Camera Is Any Better Than The Person Who Uses It. "