Subject: [Leica] OT : Stop Fractions: long and tedious, part 2
From: "Garrelfs, R (Rick)" <Rick.Garrelfs@utc.rabobank.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:08:14 +0100

> The surface of a circle is pi x radius squared.  I don't have
> lenses at
> hand, but roughly, the putative radius of a 50mm f/1.4 lens
> is 17.86mm,
> that of an f/1.5 lens is 16.66mm.  Squaring these, the ratio
> is 318.9:277.56.
>
> Reducing this gives 1.14, or 1 1/7.
>
> Mayhaps my math is way off?
>
> Marc

Hi Marc,

I just sent a post about f-stops. Rereading your post, I realise I
understand f-stops differently.

The surface difference between 1.4 and 1.5 may be 14%. However, that does
not mean 0,14 f-stop.

100% more light translates to 1 f-stop difference.
300% more light translates to 2 f-stops difference (not 3).

Am I correct here?

Rick Garrelfs

The information contained in this message may be
confidential and is intended to be exclusively for the
addressee. Should you receive this message unrightfully,
please do not use the contents herein and notify the
sender immediately by return e-mail.