Subject: [Leica] step less shutter speed .. why?
From: "Jorg Willems" <jorg@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 06:59:14 -0500

>On Behalf Of Doug Herr

<snip...>

>I consider the stepless manual shutter speeds of the Leicaflex a real
>benefit, much more than the automation of newer cameras.  The half-stop
>increments of the R7 and R8 in manual mode are pretty good, but the
>stepless shutter of the Leicaflex combined with manual metering gives me
>better results than automatic.

>Doug Herr
>Sacramento
>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/telyt

Please help me to understand why step less shutter speed gives better
results than half stop or automatic.  I don't understand that statement
unless you only shoot slides.  Even with slides I would like to see two
pictures side by side taken at the same time, same subject, same aperture
but quarter stop shutter speed difference and it would surprise me if I
would notice a difference.

We use mainly TMAX100, TMAX400, Kodak Potra 160 and 400 (NC) and these films
can cope easily with one stop shutter speed.

Jörg Willems