Subject: Re: [Leica] XXXing serial numbers
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 12:54:47 -0700

I cannot speak expertly on this subject but, as I do use the xxxs in serial
numbers I quote, I can explain why I do it. If I am quoting a specific
serial number as a reference for the starting point of a particular feature,
I will give the exact number as this is useful information. If I am quoting
serial numbers in a general way, I use the xxxs to show it is a general
reference and I find them easier to read than 000s. Examples:

M3s from serial number 854001 use the international shutter speed scale.

M3s with serial numbers above 1100XXX are considered more valuable by
collectors for extremely silly reasons.* Please compare 1100000.

Some feel that if people who never went to Sunday School* get a hold of your
serial number, they may report it as stolen to the police and then have the
police "return" your camera to the Sunday School ne'er-do-wells. I do not
worry about this as my serial number is on open display on the camera
anyway.

John Collier

*last part editorial comment

*my apologies to the very large number of non-Judaeo-Christian heritage
people on the list. It is an tenuous reference, tediously done, to Mark
Twain