Subject: Re: [Leica] Using the R8 meter
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 13:15:19 +0100

Gerry,

It is apparently normal. I just checked my R8 manual. On page 32 (German
version),
it says, loosely translated:

"With extremely bright or extremely dark conditions, it can happen that the
aperture
range is no longer sufficient given the chosen exposure time. In that case the
time will
be corrected automatically. In case of over- or underexposure, the indication HI
or
LO will be displayed."

So, the way I understand this, the R8 will seek to accomodate your chosen time
if possible.
If not possible (i.e. the necessary aperture is larger than the maximum aperture
of the lens
or smaller than its minimum aperture), then the camera will correct the time you
have set.
The HI/LO warnings should then appear only if no correct exposure is possible at
all.

Nathan

Gerry Walden wrote:

> Having just acquired my R8, I am having a bit of a problem with its metering
> modes.   I am OK on program, aperture priority, manual and flash modes but I
> am having problems with the 'T' setting.   My understanding is that this
> enables you to lock a particular shutter speed and let aperture look after
> its self.   I have noted that I need to set the lens at its smallest
> aperture (e.g f22) and most of the time all is OK but it would seem that if
> the light gets difficult then the camera will decide of its own volition to
> set a lower shutter speed rather than give me a warning.   Am I doing
> something wrong or is this the way it should be.   If so, what do I do if I
> am using maybe a longer lens and want to be sure that the speed does not
> drop below 1/200?
>
> Also, next to the tripod mounting bush is another similar hole labelled in
> the manual as 'Rotation Safety'.   Any idea what this is for?
>
> Thanks for the good advise I know I will get here.   BTW, I have just got
> the first roll back with test shots using the flash metering (with a Vivitar
> 283) and it is incredibly accurate.
>
> Gerry

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland

e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch