Subject: [Leica] Using the R8 meter
From: "Gerry Walden" <gerrywalden@cwcom.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 17:19:09 -0000

Having just acquired my R8, I am having a bit of a problem with its metering
modes.   I am OK on program, aperture priority, manual and flash modes but I
am having problems with the 'T' setting.   My understanding is that this
enables you to lock a particular shutter speed and let aperture look after
its self.   I have noted that I need to set the lens at its smallest
aperture (e.g f22) and most of the time all is OK but it would seem that if
the light gets difficult then the camera will decide of its own volition to
set a lower shutter speed rather than give me a warning.   Am I doing
something wrong or is this the way it should be.   If so, what do I do if I
am using maybe a longer lens and want to be sure that the speed does not
drop below 1/200?

Also, next to the tripod mounting bush is another similar hole labelled in
the manual as 'Rotation Safety'.   Any idea what this is for?

Thanks for the good advise I know I will get here.   BTW, I have just got
the first roll back with test shots using the flash metering (with a Vivitar
283) and it is incredibly accurate.

Gerry