Subject: Re: [Leica] (apo)logic
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 07:11:34 -0800

"Gary D. Whalen" wrote:

> Erwin,
>
>     To those of us within this newsgroup that are totally stupid (maybe I'm
> the only one) concerning the advantages, or lack thereof, of APO enlarging
> lenses I would certainly appreciate a definitive answer.  I have read all
> of the responses concerning this topic (and appreciate them all) but I
> would gleefully accept some direct information supporting the claim of APO
> superiority.  Hey, the bottom line - I just want to know if there is
> scientific fact supporting the need to purchase an APO enlarging lense for
> B&W photography.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gary D. Whalen

Can you imagine if there were no advantage to them!? Think what suckers all
those people who buy them are!?
I just saw them all listed in a new B&H thing I just got yesterday.
"I know why don't we charge twice as much for these lenses and see if anyone
buys them and call them APO?!!!"
I may be naive but I think there may be some advantage to them.
But I would not mind seeing that advantage demonstrated in two side by side 11x14's.
I'm using my 50mm 2.8 Nikkor for my 11x14's by the way not the 80. And they look
really great.
I'm starting to consider the 63mm 2.8 for the job as well as my 8x10's.
How much worse than some $600 APO Rodagon whatever it is I'll someday hopefully know!
I think I'll do OK edge to edge with the 63 for $200 usd.
mark Rabiner