Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Horror Stories
From: "Roger L. Bunting" <rlbunting@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 21:09:45 -0600

Many of these sound like Leica Survivor Stories... many with happy
ending's . I've nothing so glamorous to report. In Oct 1998 after
shutter jammed (two days into a two week trip to Europe). Leitz took
four months to repair it. Took it on a trip to Dublin and Dingle in
Ireland in May 99 and it jammed while pub shooting (three days into a 10
day trip). This time a screw came loose inside the shutter/lens
compartment and the film advance jammed. Leitz again took four months to
repair and we had to "discuss" whether it was under warranty. Certainly
both were diappointments but the Olympus Stylus Epic that I carry
instead of a flash filled in nicely for the travel pics.

The happy ending is it is now a backup to my new M6. The bad news, I
hope, is still a long way away. No bumps, no jars, careful handling just
worn out and shoddy service. Makes a script logo argument sound
superfluous - quality with a little "q" this time. The Leica's still
feels special in my hand but has lost some 'trust'.

I went out to buy a new 90mm or 24mm Elmarit last week for this year's
adventures, but my spouse, based on losing two years of travel pictures,
twisted my arm and we went home with a F100. Leica is still loaded for
pubs, but that other thing will be on this year's vacation. Maybe I can
slip in the M6 and 50Lux or 35Cron instead of one of the N* for the
'special' pics.

Thanks for listening....