Subject: [Leica] Dealers / KEH
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 15:40:38 +0000

>>>I have seen things on eBay
go for more than KEH, which, in my book, IS ridiculous.  Why pay more
for
the same item from some guy you don't know.  KEH offers a NQA (no
questions
asked) return policy, and gives a warranty.  As true in most of life, if

you don't do your homework, you get what you deserve.<<<

Which would be what...detention??

True enough, though, that it's a disadvantage to buy from a stranger. I
recently helped a friend buy a Nikkor 75-150 E lens. When the thing
came, it looked new, very clean--but it had obvious fungus. Just to be
totally justified, I took it to a Nikon repair shop, which confirmed my
"diagnosis."

The eBay seller basically told my friend, "I don't warrantee against
hidden defects," then proceeded to ignore multiple e-mails, phone calls,
and registered letters.

We each left him negative feedback. That's about all that it's really
practical to do.

People forget that buying gear sight unseen from strangers is
considerably more dangerous than buying from dealers. I've never known a
dealer to refuse a return unless it was stated up front to be "as is."
You do take less risk with dealers, and that's worth something.

- --Mike