Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Horror Stories
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 16:36:38 +0000

> > Can I hear another horror stories of Leica?
I was living on the New Boston road in  Norwich Vermont in the late Sixties,
just past where the pavement ended.  In late spring the town decided it was
high time to grade and smooth the gravel roads. After the grader passed, my
friend and I noticed a small metal object have been uncovered by the side of
the road. On closer inspection the object proved to be a Leica standard black
and nickel. Not in the nicest shape at all, but the shutter was still working
on one speed and the range finder still focused.  My friend became so
intrigued with the camera he sent it off to someone in the south to be
restored, and the camera was never heard from since.
John

BTW I have a horror story of a slightly different nature.  I moved to Boston
in 1976, a greenhorn in the big city, a rube from Vermont where I spent
fifteen years. I came with a lovely M2 button rewind and 35 mm Summicron and a
new Olympus OM1, black with a 50 mm 1.8.  Being, as I said, foolish and new, I
left my rooming house in Cambridge to go out for an evening of frolic.  I left
the Leica on top of table and the Olympus was put away in a drawer.  While I
was out, thieves broke into my room, and ransacked the place stealing my OM1.
The kind thieves, however, left my M2 sitting right on the table right where I
left it, I considered myself lucky though I was plenty pissed about the OM1.