Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica vs. Contax wars
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 17:37:53 +0000

ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:

> Yikes!  John says my question is "purile nonsense" because the G2 is "not a
> rangefinder." Well, I think it's a direct competitor to the M6 and probably
> better at most things. I don't own a G2. I do own an M6 and have previously
> owned an M3, M4 and Cl.  I may or may not buy a G2 one day. But I'm shocked
> by the level of vituperation on the LUG.
I appologize if I miss interpreted your post. I think it was the question
marks???,sort of like POP "Is the new Canon EOS something or other the endall
and beatall on photography today???"

But as I said in another post, I don't consider the Contax to be a rangefinder
camera (read optical rangefinder). Think it is an elegant point and shoot with
an attitude.  For well healed casual photographers the Contax may be serious
compitition to the M6, but not for real users. The Contax simply does not have
enough and fast enough lens choices, but the zoom lens it interesting.  I own
and use a G2 and like many of its features, but it will never replace my
Leicas. Now if Leica would make a viewfinder wherein I can see all the 35 and
28 mm frame with my glasses on I would be very happy indeed. BTW for those who
have never looked through a Contax viewfinder look thorugh your immeract or
similar finder set to fifty mm.  The image is smallish and surrounded by a
good deal of black.  This isolates the immage much like the reflex finders.
Bosjohn