Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica vs. Contax wars
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 16:15:09 +0000

B. D. Colen wrote:

> Hi, Arthur -
>
> First off, don't be shocked - this is not the Leica Users Group, it is the
> Leica Deification Group. :-)
>
> That said...and having owned a G1 and three lenses before returning to the
> M...The G series is NOT a true rangefinder camera. It is an extremely
> sophisticated, autofocus, interchangable lens P&S. That is the ugly truth.
> The lenses cannot be focused manually in ANY way. It does NOT have a classic
> rangefinder view finder system, which allows one to see what is beyond the
> frame lines.
>
> Is it a good camera? Yes, for what it is. Does it have fabulous lenses? I
> think so - if you're willing to put up with how slow most of them are.
>
> Is it a competitor with the M? Yes, in that some people who would otherwise
> by Leicas are buying Gs - but, and I know this will tick some people off, I
> would posit that the majority of those chosing the G over the M are dabblers
> with a good deal of expendable income. (Yes, I know that there are some very
> serious - and very good - photographers on this list who use G cameras: they
> also use Leicas or other full-function cameras.)
>
> Anyway...That's my view of this particular world.

I agree with the above, with the caviat that lenses on the G2 can be manually
focused sort of.  You can manually set the distance and the autofocus motor
sets the lens, you cannot twist the lens.  I also agree that most buyers are
dabbler or in my case looking for an interchangable lens point and shoot with
high quality lenses good enough to compliment my Leica rangefinders and OM4t
reflex systems.