Subject: Re: [Leica] SL and Visoflex viewfinder question
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 08:27:07 -0800

> John Collier wrote:
>
>  I have just started playing with a visoflex and a Novoflex 400mm f5.6
(old,
> good shape and $170US) and the screen brightness is amazing! You can
stop
> the lens all the way down (yes, I know, not recommended) and still see
very
> clearly compared to every other SLR I have tried. Why is this? Why has
no
> other company done this?
> <<<
>
> The Visoflex screen is optimized for longer focal lengths.  Most SLR
viewscreens are a compromise between requirements for wide, fast normal
and long lenses.  I couldn't tell ya what design parameters are involved
in the viewscreen design.  When I used N****, there were some
viewscreens available that were optimized for the longer focal lengths.

Most focussing screens assume a certain range of the exit pupil
position.  They incorporate a Fresnel lens, or by change the angle of
microprisms to ensure that the light coming from the lens end up towards
the viewing eyes.  If the focal length of the Fresnel lens does not
match the pupil position well, you experience vignetting which makes it
difficult to view the image.

Visoflex screen, as well as Nikon type-D screen are ground glass without
a Fresnel lens.  This configuration works, as you found out, with a long
lens with the exit pupil quite far away from the focal plane.   Nikon
provides four different microprism screens (H1 through 4) for its F3
camera for different lenses.  The brightness is quite amazing, although
the microprisms are not as fine as that of SL, so it is not quite as
pleasant.