Subject: [Leica] Leica vs. Contax wars
From: "Robert E. Woods" <woorob@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:46:56 -0800

answer, in my opinion, is not at all.  I own a complete G2 Black Lacquer
outfit (in mint condition, e-mail me privately if you'd like to buy it!)
which is a great point and shoot, certainly much better than my Contax TVS
II, but a point and shoot nevertheless.  The automatic focus is distracting
to both photographer and subject, the "manual" focus is a complete joke, the
lenses are difficult to remove and replace, the operation is far from silent
due to the mandatory auto winding feature, the viewfinder is dim and
somewhat yellowish, etc., etc.  It is a great camera for someone with
failing eyesight.  But there is no way is even begins to compare with a
Leica M camera.  This is from someone who paid MORE for the Contax outfit
than I've ever paid for any single piece of Leica equipment (except for the
Millennium M6 I have on order).

The Contax equipment is well made but in my experience, after owning three
different Contax models recently, just doesn't deliver the goods.  My 20
year old Minox 35GT literally provides better and sharper pictures than the
Contax T2 or TVS II, almost on a par with the G2.

Bob Woods
St. Paul, Minnesota