Subject: [Leica] OT:APO vs non-APO enlarger lense
From: "A. Huntley" <prasepe@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:52:06 -0500

Gary,
I see that you have received quite a few responses already to your inquiry, but I would like to add my
$.02 too; especially since I just went through this exercise! I have a V35 with the "as delivered" 40mm
Focotar lens. Since I've been a Schneider lens user for more years than I care to remember I had often
entertained the thought of replacing the Focotar with something from Schneider optics. But, what could
be better than the Focotar? Though...now...thinking about it...kinda makes sense that most modern
optics would probably fare better than the Focotar...anyway...

To keep this brief, I bought a 40mm/2.8 Schneider APO-Componon HM with the intention of a direct
comparison to the Focotar and shipping the sucker back if it didn't "live up to" my expectations. I posted
my findings to the LUG several weeks ago but, briefly, I determined that center performance was almost
identical between the two--though I would give the nod to the Schneider--however, edge performance was
something else all together. The Schneider lens simply blew away the Focotar! No comparison...not even
close...the improvement in sharpness, tonality, etc., with the Schneider was miles ahead of what the
Focotar was capable of. BTW, this was easily seen with an unaided eye at approx 16x20 enlargements;
actually somewhat smaller since I usually print full frame.

I fully appreciate what others have said, but my experience--at least, the "head-to-head" between the Focotar
and Schneider--proved to my eye that the Schneider optic was worth the investment. I kept it. Most likely, any
one of several 50mm lenses would be just as good, but I stuck with the 40mm length hoping to maintain
autofocus capability. Not sure if this is working out because I always final focus with my Peak. Anyone out
there among LUGland know if autofocus on Leitz enlargers is determined by focal length or, maybe,
physical dimension of the lens? I know I've read that if you change to a 50mm lens that the appropriate cam
should be installed too...

Best regards,
Alan Huntley