Subject: Re: [Leica] Favorite Color Print Films
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn@san.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:57:56 -0800

Opinions on film:
I'm waiting expectantly for the new improved Kodak version of Ektapress that
they promise to release next month under the "Supra" label.

From limited experience:
Kodak Gold 100 is very sharp and very grainy. Fuji Superia Reala and Kodak
Royal 100 are sharp and much less grainy. The Fuji has slightly less grain.
The Kodak has slightly more realistic colors.

Opinions on labs:
My favorite custom lab is closed on week-ends, so I've tried several of the
local 1 hour varieties. Fortunately, only with film tests rather than
irreplaceable images.

Conclusions:
1. Processing only costs were not much different. Some of the 1 hour labs
cost more than the custom lab.

2. Fast E6 labs seem OK, but most send the E6 out to the custom labs anyway.

3. Stay away from 1 hour C41 labs unless you like scratches and dirt added
to your film prior to drying. Several returned my process only film in the
film canisters which added a severe curl that was unpleasant to remove.
Getting to know the people at the 1 hour lab seems to yield more uniform
scratches and a little less dirt...

Mike Quinn