Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica vs. Contax wars
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:37:58 +0000

Luc Janssens wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I bought a M6 because I found
> * That the leica optics are better than the Japanese-made Zeis optics
> for the G2. The Leica lenses also have a depth of fieldscale.
> * That the viewfinder with the frames of the Leica  is better than the
> Contax viewfinder.
> * The Leica is manual focus (when I need autofocus I use my SLRs)
> * A Contax is not a Leica
> But you are right the Contax lenses costs much less money.
> Luc

Except for the 90 mm lens, the image in the Contax is bigger for the 90mm.
There is also a zoom lens available, though I have not yet tried it. I have
and use both and each seems to have its own particular forte.  I love my Leica
for in close work with people, but I like the Contax to walk about with. They
are just different and nitpicking lens quibbles not withstanding both are
obviously capable photographic tools.  Sometimes I like being able to see
beyond the frame line in my Leica, but I can't see beyond the 35mm frame, and
sometimes I like the isolating the black surround of the Contax forcing me to
concentrate more on what is in the frame.
John