Subject: Re: [Leica] Voigtlander Color-Heliar 75/2.5 pictures up
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 21:36:24 +0000

on 29/2/00 6:27 pm, Stephen Holloway at stephen.holloway@balcab.ch wrote:

> That's really super stuff. I love the snaps of eye contact in the sea of
> faces. They flow together so nicely under the theme that it's hard to
> pick out favourites. 15 of course is a masterpiece and I like the menace
> in 19. 9 and 14 are great 'people geometry' shots. You've also got a
> 'wide' feel to the pictures which somehow contrasts with the short focal
> plane and subject isolation.

Thanks, Stephen. In fact, I meant to apologise in my original post for
ripping off your schtick so badly, but that's just how they came out! The
'wide' feel is interesting, isn't it? Very similar to the way I shoot with
the 35. The 75 doesn't feel too cold and distant, which surprised me. The
average distance to the subjects in these pix must be about 15-20 feet.
Obviously by the eye contact they know I'm photographing.

> I think I prefer the TX look to TMY although I'd like to see some 35
> Summilux stuff (in TMY) to get a good comparison.

I'll put some up soon.

> Are you using the
> Minolta Dimage scanner now?

Yes. Good, isn't it? And damn cheap. The only complaint I have is its
inability to handle deep shadow in negs, because it's 10 bits presumably. I
always end up crushing the blacks to get rid of nasty artefacts.

Interestingly, the TX stuff is much easier to scan than the TMY, which seems
to have less contrast in the midtones, so I end up dialling in more contrast
to get separation where I need it. This could just be a function of TMY in
Xtol, of course. I'm using 11 minutes 1+1 @ 68F, which is stacks more than
Mr Kodak recommends, but I still think I'm getting about N-a half.

- --
Johnny Deadman

photos:      http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
music:       http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk