Subject: [Leica] Re: R help
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:49:30 -0800

Doug

>>My personal favorite is the Leicaflex SL, which uses 2-cam and most 3-cam
lenses.<<

While there are things that I don't like about the SL -- primarily
antiquated metering -- it is a great camera to use because the  viewfinder
is exceptional, even by today's standards.

I have a problem with many modern SLR viewfinders. First, they tend be
information centers first, and framing devices second. I find it a bit
ironic, since modern cameras do most of the thinking for you. Conversely,
in years past, when camera's didn't "think", we could have used the
information. Today we really don't need it.

Secondly, with all the technological advancements, viewfinders haven't
improved a whole lot in relation to brightness. The R8, for instance, is
remarkably bright compared with other modern SLRs. But is it really any
brighter than the SL? I don't think so. In fact, I have yet to look through
a viewfinder that is brighter than my SL.

I wonder if bright viewfinders held a greater premium in the 70s. Sure we
all want a bright viewfinder today. But with fast lenses and particularly
with AF, it's not as critical as it once was.

I hadn't given much thought to viewfinder brightness before a recent
experience. I was in a low light situation.  I switched from to my 80-200/4
to my 90/2 on my R7. The two stops made a huge difference. It was like
somebody turned the lights on. It brought home the importance of being able
to see well, as simple as that sounds.

Isn't a bright viewfinder one of the biggest attractions for rangefinders?
It doesn't matter if you use an f 1.4 lens, or an f3.5 lens. The viewfinder
brightness is always the same.

Back to the SL, I often use it with a 90/2 or 35/2, and b/w film.  I also
use the SL with studio lights, since it has a PC connection, whereas the R7
does not. Unfortunately, the latest lenses -- such as my 80-200/4 -- will
not fit the SL due to the ROM contacts on the lens.

David