Subject: [Leica] Re: APO for B & W??
From: "Doug Herr" <Dherr@energy.state.ca.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 09:49:11 -0800

Charles Cason <cec@vbe.com> 02/28/00 08:34AM wrote:

I'm not sure I understand all the questions about APO lens.  I think an
APO lens will not resolve any more lines than a non APO, only effect the
chromatic color scale???
If you are developing black and white, does it matter if the enlarging
lens is APO or not?  Can someone, in a few words, correct my thinking on
this.
Thanks Charles
<<<

Unless your light source is a single wavelength, light is color whether the film or paper records separate wavelengths or records intensity (as in B & W).  You want all wavelengths to focus at the same place otherwise you get a blur instead of a point.  An APO lens is defines as one where 3 wavelengths (I forget which 3) at various points in the spectrum focus at the same point.  Non-APO lenses don't nessesarily do this.

Doug Herr
Sacramento