Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron 50 hood
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 23:26:54 -0700

The rectangular hoods for the last two versions of the 35 summicron* will
fit on the 50mm summicrons with and without the focussing tab (I can
personally verify the 1969 to 1994 versions) but not the latest with its own
built in hood. You do not have to cut off the alignment tab. Unfortunately,
for your purposes, the hood is easily knocked askew and would then vignette
quite severely (perhaps a poor man's Nocti). I guess one could build up
epoxy ridges or a machined ring to hold the hood in the correct position.
The rectangular 35mm hoods will not mount in the reverse position so, if you
are starting from scratch, it would be best to get the asph version which is
sold with the hood cap included. Up here in the Big Guy's country**, the
asph hood and cap go for $71US ($105CAN). Personally the 12585 hood is the
best and the fact that it bends and absorbs shocks is good. I straighten
mine once a month whether it needs it or not.

John Collier

*asph and nonasph versions are identical except for the two little tabs on
the front of the hood. The nonasph version's tabs are more rounded and only
meant to assist in mounting the hood. The asph version's tabs are sharp to
retain the new hood cover.

**Ted Grant of course!