Subject: RE: [Leica] Nikon S3 millennium
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 15:28:09 -0500

The S3 and the SP both had titanium shutter curtains through the last part
of their production lives.

According to Rotoloni installation of titanium curtains began in Nikon RF's
around the same time as the Nikon F appeared in June 1959.  Out of some
22,000 SP's, around 8,000 had the titanium shutter.  The S3 had the same
transition from cloth to foil about the same time as the SP.

Skip

At 2/26/00 08:27 AM  -0800, you wrote:
>I remember the M series, and the S, S2, S3 and S4 all had cloth shutters,
>but I remember that the SP had the "new" shutter material....I could be
>wrong.....
>
>I gotta go look this one up at the Nikon Site in the UK......or does anyone
>own a copy of Rogalatti/Rotolini/?  Some Italian surname or Peter Dechert's
>version  that wrote the definittive book on Nikon RF look it up for me?
>
>Better yet, can someone that owns a SP go look at the shutter material and
>comment.... I never had one of these bodies, so I don;t know from first hand
>experience....
>
>Frank
>

>Nikon went to the titanium shutter curtains with the F. The Nikon RFs
>were all cloth shuttered, like the Leicas.
>
>Godfrey

Skip Williams
Westfield, NJ
skipwilliams@pobox.com