Subject: [Leica] focomat newton rings
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 20:47:09 EST

>I recently bought an old focomat 1c enlarger whith the focotar lens.
>It is a real pleasure to work with but I have a problem with
>newtonrings. This is caused by the condensor which has no anti-newton
>layer and has direct contact with the negative.
>Leitz used to have anti-newton glas which is discontinued.
>I tried to avoid contact between the negative and the condensor by
>masking the 24x36mm image with tape but it did not work.
>Is someone familiar with this problem ?
>Thanks a lot in advance for your tips.
>Greetings,
>Frederik Boone

fred,
this problem is so common it is dealt with in the older leica manuals -- you
have to cut a template out of sheet film or some similar substance that fits
over the two pins on the negative stage, has slots for the two chrome
allignment thingies, and a hole for the negative. Put that over your
negative, re-calibrate the auto-focus (leica says you don't have to, but I
did) and away you go, newton-ringless forever more. If you ask Leica in New
Jersey they can send you a picture of the template, or check out a 1952 Leica
manual, or e-mail me ur address privately and I'll send you a zerox, or
xerox, whichever.

charlie trentelman
ogden, utah