Subject: Re: [Leica] "Vitamin C" developers
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:51:59 -0800

Christer Almqvist wrote:

> >Mark,
> >I've never tried Neutol Plus and don't have any on hand. I'll have to
> >try it.
> >
> >I approve of ascorbic developers generally. They have excellent
> >technical properties, low toxicity, and are environmentally very
> >benign--even compared to other developers, most of which aren't so bad.
> >
> >In fact the only materials "crisis" I've had in recent years is that
> >Tri-X is one of the few films that I think is not a partciularly good
> >match to Xtol (although it's not bad)--I've actually considered
> >switching films so I can use Xtol.
>
> Please let us know what film you select. I went to HP5, but then in
> Rodinal, however,  this is not a general usage combination. Good for night
> shots and contrasty stuff though.
>
>  It's a really good film developer. It
> >deserves to be for the next 50 years what D-76 has been for the last 50
> >and more (D-76 was formulated in 1932, if memory serves).
> >
> >--Mike

Christer not only is ascorbic acid a silver reducer (developer) but it is a
preservative and antioxidant as I've just read in the Dignam book.
HP5 I've always had the worst luck with over the decades with the developerse
I've used.
I have a feeling in Xtol it would look terrific just like just about anything
run in Xtol would look terrific.
My dirty underwear would look great run in Xtol.
I really think Xtol is as sharp as Rodinol but without the sharp grain staring
at you it's less obvious.
I have a stack of Tri x fiber prints done either in Xtol or Rodinol and the only
inconsistency is the grain.
Mark Rabiner