Subject: [Leica] Why Ted prefers the 15mm on the M over R...
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 12:47:41 -0500

First off... I'm wondering whether this is really Ted's attempt to get us
off of the S3, Hexar and G-2 or more recently Eggleton and snake threads,
.... But OK... I'll bite...  : )   ssssssssss.........

My guess is the reason Ted likes the 15mm on his M is because he thinks it
is a whole lot more fun to shoot with... instead of spending time focusing
on his R-8 ground glass screen.... he just presets the focus and fires
away... sometimes looking through the finder but sometimes not... even
shooting from the hip...  Either way... it is more fun to take pictures and
you can enjoy the moments more when the technical aspects are reduced..

Then of course, the M-6 combination is small and compact... quiet,
unobtrusive and he can take pictures of people completely unaware of what is
doing.... Not easily done with the R-kit.  And of course the M pair has a
mechanical feel that is a joy to use....

Either way... Ted has shot more photos and for more years than most of us
will ever do... and my guess is it takes something fun for him to get
excited about equipment again...

So what could be better than all of that ...  I think Ted would say topping
it off at the end of the day with one of his favorite malts...   (Though
personally I prefer any form of Ice-cream any time of day!)

P.S. I've been using my M-kit more for work assignments lately and leaving
my EOS in the office....  And it IS more fun to shoot with... certainly
easier on the neck and there is no twinkie flash to make people jump after
each shot...

Duane Birkey
Quito Ecuador...

P.S. Ted... I do have a U.S. address you can the prize to.... : )