Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux pictures
From: LawsonCL@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:27:31 EST

In a message dated 2/25/00 6:18:08 AM Mountain Standard Time, malland@mac.com
writes:

> I've been hearing great things about the new Delta 3200 film. Why is the
> Noctilux so useful now that there is such a good fast film with which you
don'
> t have to shoot with the razor thin depth of field of an f/1.0 lens?

I shot a concert Tuesday night (Adrian Legg, master fingerstyle guitarist and
photophile, himself) with Delta 400 and Delta 3200. I used a Noctilux, 75
Summilux and 35 Summicron ASPH. While Delta 3200 gave me the option stopping
down, I still shot wide open and used higher shutter speeds to knock out
camera shake and the performer's movement. For me, that was reason enough to
have an extra stop or two of lens speed. Of course, that doesn't even get
into the myriad tonal considerations between super fast and just
pretty-darn-fast film stock.

But, I see where you're coming from. "Gee, why blow all that money on a fast
lens when you can buy a little Noctilux in every roll of film."

I tried the same dodge. It worked for a couple months.

Resistance is futile.

Chris Lawson