Subject: Re: [Leica] 15mm M6 or 15mm R8 which one?
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:59:37 EST

In a message dated 2/24/00 11:14:08 PM, tedgrant@home.com writes:

>OK I'm not going to tell you right now, you folks tell me why you think
>I picked the M6 over the R8? Man this is so simple I bet the first
>response will have it. What do you win?
>
>Well Ok lets make this interesting. :)  I'll send a copy of my book,
>"This is Our Work. The Legacy of Sir William Osler" along with the
>"Photographers Supplement" to the winner, where ever he or she lives in
>the world!

My guesses in order (feel free to re-arrange the order so that I win the
book):

1.) Simplicity: Because you're guess focusing and using the viewfinder it
turns your fancy camera into a box camera and that frees your mind and opens
your eyes to the world around you. It may even take you back to the way you
felt when you first discovered photography.

2.) Stealth: It's so small, light and inconspicuos -- It's a joy to use and
no one notices it. Your subjects have NO IDEA to kind of view you're taking
in. The R lens, I suspect, makes quite the show.

3.) Results: Focusing is actually more reliable by guessing that trying to
discern sharp focus of an extreme wide angle lens on an SLR ground glass.

4.) Practicality: It takes less room in the bag so you're more likely to have
it with you than the R lens.

5.) Irony: It gives you great personal satisfaction to use an optic that can
be had for $400 but yet rivals Leica glass in certain respects.