Subject: Re: [Leica] a simple request
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 21:19:42 +1100

Gabriele Müller wrote:

> <<p.s. a quick leica question: could a tiny scratch on the inner glass
> surface of a filter (an a36 orange clamp-on filter to be used on an 3.5
> elmar 50) effect picture quality? the one i just bought on ebay - announced
> with "perfect" glass - has a tiny scratch and i'm wondering if i should
> send it back or just live with it.>>
>
> Every scratch changes the refraction of the light and this is naturally not
> wished for optical instruments. I f sellers told the glass is 100% perfect,
> it must be!
> I would send it back!
>
> Wish you all the best and welcome back again!
>
> Gabriele

Gabriele, I should not worry about the tiny scratch in your filter. You'll
never notice it.
By the way, is the scratch in the centre or towards the outside of the filter.
If its towards the edge, you have no problems at all, because the front element
of the Elmar
is very much smaller than the 36mm slip on filters.

I don't believe, that even on the lens itself a small scratch on the front
element is noticeable for picture taking situations. However if it where
cleaning marks (Hundreds of fine scratches)
would it scatter the light somewhat. Not necessary to the detriment of the
image.

Regards, Horst Schmidt