Subject: Re: [Leica] M4-P black chrome finish problems
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 20:32:17 EST

There is a caveat to the chemical stripping of a zinc M4P top-plate. If you
use an acid bath, you will end up with a small pile of zinc in the bottom of
the tank! Brass is easy to Dechroming, but the chemicals used are vile. The
chrome comes off in one bath and the nickel flashcoat in another.
 I agree with Disfromage on the necessity to dismantle the camera.NEVER paint
an assembled camera, it is very easy to have paintladen fumes drift into
stuff like film-counters, viewfinders (and you thought that the old finder
was dim, wait until you have seen one coated with black enamel) and
lensmounts. Some of the parts of the M4P is made from alloy (film rewind
crank, pre-selector lever and screw) and some of the bezels around the
filmcounter, flash connectors etc. If you strip these with acid, they are
GONE! Take the camera to a repair guy and have him disassemble it for you and
then experiment, At least you will have the working parts left if something
goes wrong. I have taken several M's apart (and managed to put most of them
back together) and also painted several. If your M4P has the brass top-plate,
no problem, once it is off the camera, have it stripped and then paint it
whatever color you want. You can always remove the paint if it does not work
out. I have a grey M2, a blue-grey M2, a purple M4, a green M1 - of course
they all have matching Rapidwinders in the correct color! I also have an old,
one of the 1st 1000 M4P's that I have owned since new and to say that it
looks worn is an understatement, even the brass is starting to wear thin in
places! Your easiest solution is to cover the camera with black tape and
replace it as it peels off.
Tom A