Subject: Re: [Leica] 1rst Fashion Shoot...Which Lab?
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:58:30 -0800

Paul Klingaman wrote:

> Hello LUG,
>
> Had my first go at fashion photography over the weekend!  Nothing close to
> done as it *should* be, I'm sure...but I think we did ok with the few
> hotlights that we had and some available light from a nearby window.
> Cameras used were M6 and Nikon SLR.  I would've loved to use MF, however
> this was a spur of the moment type of shoot, and I couldn't get 120 film
> anywhere(close by) on a Sunday.  So, now I've got a few questions...
>
><Snip>
Fashion photography is the product photography only the product happens to me clothing.
You've already shot the thing and you are now asking for advise?
My advise is to test out your films and lights and lenses extensively before you
do a job.
Know what you are doing ahead of time. I suppose you will find out how these
films and lights and gear all work out when you get your job back but by then it
will be too late won't it. Thank goodness this is not the big time where a model
makes more in a day then you do in a year as rehiring them for a reshoot would
have to be covered by your insurance!
Model portfolios make great testing grounds, you will embarrass yourself less.
If you can get results from a beginning model it's a piece of cake to get
results from one who knows some moves.
A fashion photographer has to know what he/she is doing just as much as any
other kind of photographer.
Sure there is lots of wild stuff out there where you can barely see the Merch. (clothes).
But most clothing manufactures, designers, stores are interested that you be
able to see them as they are reproduced.
But what you are doing is clothing illustration. And you need have more of a
clue as to what you're doing ahead of time.
You don't want surprises. Avedon started out photographing his sister.
Mark Rabiner