Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Sighting: END OF THE AFFAIR
From: Simon Pulman-Jones <spulmanjones@london.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 17:21:57 -0000

Marc Small wrote:

>In the movie, THE END OF THE AFFAIR, Ralph Fiennes and Stephen Rea are
>walking down the street at one point, and a "Leica" sign can be seen
behind
>them.

>Unfortunately for historical accuracy, it is the modern version and not
the
>white-on-red sort which would have been used by a camera store in the
>1940's.  But, at least, it IS evidence that there is still at least one
>camera store in the UK willing to advertise Leica, a refreshing change
from
>the stituation in the US.

In addition to the Leica sign - which I wasn't keen enough to spot - the
more obvious presence of Leica in the film is in the hands of a small boy,
the son of a private detective, who is doing undercover work for his
father, snatching incriminating photographs with an appropriately 1940's
Leica.  Of all the possible uses for which Leicas are particularly well
suited this is one that I have never seen mentioned on this list!

Simon.