Subject: Re: [Leica] Cooltone (was Always use a control
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 12:29:27 +0100

>BTW: How did you warm to the Ilford Cooltone I sent you... gone cool on the
>Warmtone yet?
>
>Ed Buziak / Publisher (of hopefully the world's second-in-respectability
>darkroom magazine <gg>)
>"Camera & Darkroom"

I hear that the Ilford Cooltone was developed, or should I say --created--
to make sure there is no misunderstanding, as a tabular grain version of
paper, with the objective of getting better grain and sharpness than
current and old paper. However, Ilford did not go the whole way and did not
formulate a corresponding paper developer that would have made the
improvement clear to see with the naked eye. Have you noticed any
improvement in this regard?

My source tells me there is an eastern European manufacturer who puts film
emulsion on paper, and developing these papers in the special developer you
get non plus ultra prints.

Johnston and Buziak: why have you not reported on this?