Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon 35mm f2.5 LTM lens
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 21:16:13 -0800

I do not know the particulars, but I would also suspect it would be a
Tessar configuration, as practically all point'n'shoot cameras of the
day had some type of Tessar configuration lens, in focal length of
between 35mm and 45mm, and an aperture of 2.8 to 3.5.  What is
interesting is that the shutter leaf and aperture are all behind the
optical elements in most of these.  There is practicaly no space between
the elements, and all the mechanical parts are separate from the lens
block, presumably to reduce manufacturing cost.  However, many of them
work very well, and certainly far better than most of the current zoom
point'n'shoots.

What I found interesting is that Nikon did not elect to use the 35/2.5
lens for its 35Ti compact.  Instead, Nikon designed a slightly telephoto
lens that would not protrude too much.  If the 35/2.5 was used, it would
protrude too much and would not be possible to retract the lens block
into the body.

Ken Iisaka kiisaka@pacbell.net
Lost in Mill Valley in Marin County, California