Subject: [Leica] Re: comment on: Heliar 15 comments/ film spacing
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 17:09:13 -0800

At 03:58 PM 2/21/00 -0800, Evilboy wrote:
>I've had this spacing problem w/ the russian 20/5,6 as well. At first I
>thought it was the body til I checked negatives shot w/ other lenses.
>It makes it very hard to cut your negatives into strips.
>-Bern

This is a very well known feature of very wide angle lenses. The closer the
rear element is to the film, the winder the spread on the film. Thicker
emulsion films will be more pronounced than thinner emulsion films.

R lenses do not have this problem because they are retrofocus designs. The
rear element is still way out in front of the mirror. A long ways away in
terms of light ray angles.

Jim