Subject: Re: [Leica] Wildlife and Guns
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 19:08:15 -0500

Doug: In most cases your very right. But (you knew it was coming) there
have
been cases of unprovoked bear and dog attacks that have cost people their
lives. In a lot of these cases a fire arm used properly would have turned
the
events for the good. Why is it that guides in alaska take a 12 gauge pump
with
5 rounds (3 are triple OOO buck and the last two magnum slugs or sabots)
Bears
don't need a reason to have a bad day. The main predator that I'm concerned
with in the woods is the two legged, man/woman type animals. They are the
one's
who you will have more problems with, we've run into their type before and
they
understand one thing- that you are bigger and meaner than they are.
If you want to do wildlife photography of dangerous game then do your
homework,
talk to experts and don't do stupid things. We, as a nation, have a strong
tendency to try and humanize animals, cute furry little bears, yes and
they'll
rip you to shreds  too. Oh, BTW don't be fooled that black bear are
cowards,
they're not. The best way to be safe is to let your presents be known, they
will go the other way if given the chance. Walk tall and carry a big, big
stick, just know when to and when not to use it. I do!
<<<

You'll get no argument from me.  During my 6 summers in Denali National
Park, where Grizzly outnumbered black bear by a large margin, I made a
safety rule for myself: no bear photos when I'm on foot.  There's just too
much temptation to get "just a little bit closer".  The griz photo on my
website was made through the open window of a tourist bus.  And there were
times when I had to make my presence known, appear very large, and walk
calmly the other way.  Guides in Alaska carry firearms because they can't
predict how their clients will react to the sight of a bear at close range.

While in Alaska, I went running for an hour or so every weekday morning to
stay in shape.  Besides griz, there were also moose, caribou and wolf to be
aware of.  Challenge a caribou in it's language and it will charge.
Startle a cow moose with a calf in the spring and you'd better have a good
climbing tree handy.  Bull moose in the fall just want you out of their
territory.  Wolves run away from people.  And, you're right, griz are
unpredictable.  I usually smelled 'em before I saw them so I was able to
walk calmly away.

Along the southern US border the main hazard in the wilds is humans,
particularly drug smugglers, so some form of protection is a good idea.
With wild animals (IMHO), knowledge is the best defense.

Doug Herr
Sacramento