Subject: Re: [Leica] Anodized finish BUBBLING up
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 10:58:14 -0700

Justin GUARIGLIA wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an important question regarding the LEICA M Black body and lens
> anodized finishes.
>
> I've recently noticed my anodized finishes beginning to bubble. With two of
> my lenses, the bubbles are actually getting bumped into or scraped against
> (while working) and as a result, are popping open, like a paint bubble, to
> reveal the raw chrome metal below.
>
> (Note: All of the bubbles are roughly the size of pin points, some smaller
> some smaller)
>
> I dropped into LEICA-USA a few months ago, and they were of little help.
> They told me they would need to replace the parts.
>
> They also blamed the sub-tropical conditions I occasionally work in (as I'm
> based in Asia) as being part of the problem...
>
> Has anyone ever heard of such problems, and if so, what is the cause? and
> can the process be reversed or prevented?

Justin, I've lived most of my life in the tropics, and I've found that I
needed to keep the cameras (and the tops of the hifi) very clean else
I'd risk seeing corrosion appear. I gather that you have an M6, which
has a zinc top cover. Zinc oxide is a nice stable compound, but metallic
zinc is not, and it sounds like the protective plating over the zinc
base is becoming porous on your camera. For now, I'd suggest cleaning
out the craters and filling with black paint.

One obvious cure is to buy a black enamel M6 Millenium or LHSA-edition
camera, which are painted brass! As one of our Denver LUG members
suggested with black enamel cameras "When it wears out, just get it
repainted".
- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado