Subject: [Leica] riddle of measurement scales
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 10:51:30 +0100

Let me first set a few things in the proper context. I published my
test of the Tri-Elmar, long before CdI did, and I noted that the
performance of the TE are as good asif not better than all previous
generations of Leica lenses of comparable focal length. I also noted
that while the TE challenges the image qulaity of the current asph35,
2/50 and 2.8/28, the TE could not equal the performance of these
three lenses when the highest level of imagery is required. So I am
not trying to deny that the asph35 is better than the TE at 35mm. At
5.6 however the differences are very small. This I already have
reported upon  and it is nice to see that CdI supports my findings.
What I object to is the notion that the asph35, in a contest with the
TE, should be qualified as a loser or even as "clearly not as good
as".
CdI uses an evaluation scale running from fair to good to very good
and excellent. This is the same  as the PopPhoto classification of A,
B, C etc. As both magazines use identical testing equipment  and use
identical evaluation scales I always am puzzled why CdI should get
the vote of confidence and PopPhoto be mistrusted. In my view when
you say that lens A is good in the corners and lens B is very good,
you get the same info as when someone says, lens A gets a C and lens
B a B. Classifications are based on dividing lines, and so PopPhoto
and CdI  will tell you that a resolution of 30 l/mm ot CdI: an MTF of
30%) qualifies as good and a resolution of 31 l/mm (31%) as very
good. Now this is ridiculous, No one can see the difference between
the 30 and 31 lines or the 30 and 31% contrast transfer. But it is a
logical consequence of their methodology and therefore it is not a
good one. As I do not know when reading the CdI qualification if the
difference of 'good' versus 'very good' is a small borderline
difference or a big one (high end and low end of both classes) I am
at a loss how to interpret the results. If you assume  a big
difference between the notion of good and very good you might be
tempted to conclude that one lens is a winner. If you look at the
real data you see a small difference, that does not support the
conclusion.
In the past the resolution figures were paramount and a lens that got
80 lines was invariably better than one that got 75 lines. (it still
is in vogue in some quarters).  Now the MTF is in danger of the same
senseless  number juggling. To be precise: the TE at 40lp/mm at 12mm
image height (that is at a point on the negative 12 mm away from the
center) has a value of 60 and 65 (tang and sag) and the asph35 at the
same position has 60 for tan and sag. Which lens is better and what
of this difference do you see in practice? Can you see it and when?
Is the 12mm position representative of the overall image quality? Is
the 15mm position more or less important? And if there is a
difference in value between 40 and 50% is there any chance you will
notice it.
Well I am   a firm promoter of quantified measurements as it makes
for more objective discourse than the impressionistic semantic
bubbles so favored in some quarters. But I am against numerical
fetishism, that tries to impress by citing and comparing numeric
values without the relevant background and context.
To sum up: there is no sense at all in trying to read much practical
difference in the small MTF numbers (tangentially 49% versus 58%)
without being able to see the whole picture. There is also no sense
in trying to extract big differences out of a measurement scale that
is by definition nominal as good versus very good.
The evaluation of the optical performance of a lens is just more
complicated than you can imagine.
And nor semantic eloquence nor numerical comparisons will be of any
value to the practical photographer unless there is a clear reference
and relation to the practical demands and technical proficiency of
the user.

Erwin