Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: I need help
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 11:32:11 -0700

Roy Feldman wrote:

> I am trying to set up a achieving system for a large picture base, I would
> like to have a searchable data base thet would include date , subject ,
> photographer, location. as well as a thumbnail. Can anyone point me in the
> right direction?

Roy, I'd like to be an achiever too but it will take more than a
database to do the trick ;-)

I think there's at least one commercial readymade product out there, but
this could also be done pretty easily, and without much prior experience
using an ordinary relational database such as Filemaker Pro. The
advantage to building your own from a general-purpose product such as
this is that you have the ability to expand to a multi-user setup and
could integrate the photo datbase to others containing contact and
billing info and so forth. But if you do hope to expand to a multi-user
setup someday, now's the time to think of what it costs to equip each
workstation and server.

I have been thinking of creating just such an animal for myself (no
billing or contacts), but more as a means of storing my darkroom notes.
Because (in this case) it's cheap to experiment and because I don't want
to limit future possibilities (huge data files, many users, lots of
connected workstations, web browser access) I plan to try it with MySQL
or Oracle 8i under Linux. MySQL is very reasonably-priced. Oracle is
well, at least cheap to sample.
- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado