Subject: [Leica] Re: Rangefinder flare and the M6
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 10:46:37 -0000

As the recent repostings of Mr. Scheele’s exchange of letters with
Solms on the subject of M6 rangefinder flare show, the factory sees
this as an unavoidable problem due to the way the finder system was
re-designed to accommodate the metering LEDs. Yet our discussions on
the LUG suggest that while some folk are plagued with this problem,
others never see it.

I don’t believe this can be due to different styles of photography -
someone like Ted Grant has probably dropped more pics in the reject
pile than I’ve taken in my life, so have presumably used the M6 under
every conceivable lighting condition, yet has apparently have noticed
no problem with the rangefinder. Yet other Lugnuts have had so much
trouble they have ended up selling their M6.

The symptom for those of us who have the problem is that under some
lighting conditions the rangefinder rectangle simply "whites out",
becoming brightly lit to the point where the rectangle is a bright
white colour and the split image is invisible. The problem seems to
come when shooting against the light, or in scenes illuminated by
spotlights. I do a lot of my photography at trade exhibitions, where I
am often standing in front of a brightly-lit stand whose main source
of illumination is high rail-mounted spotlights. My CL copes easily
with these conditions, but when its shutter failed last fall and I
switched to the M6, I found the latter very hard to use.

At one point I wondered if the problem might be caused by light
reflecting from the top surface of a chrome lens (the meter of the Mk1
Leicaflex had this problem, so Leitz adopted a black finish for reflex
lenses). However, I’ve had bad rangefinder flare when using both black
and chrome lenses.

The best work-around I’ve found is to go back to using my M2 and
IIIg - cameras built more than quarter of a century before the M6, and
which have rangefinders which seem to work properly under virtually
all lighting conditions. Luckily, my style of photography can tolerate
the time delay caused by having to use an external meter.

I’m going to be at Solms in April and will take the M6 with me and ask
Leica to check the rangefinder. Perhaps this is partly a matter of how
well the finder optics have been set up - that would explain why some
folks have the problem and some don’t. I’ll post whatever I learn from
them.

I was interested to note that Bob Figlio had written that "the [M5]
viewfinder is much, much better than that of the M6 - no flare nor
hazy view." To the best of my knowledge, the M5 was the first model to
depart from the M2/3/4 design of viewfinder/rangefinder and move to a
configuration similar to that of the M6.

I’m puzzled by the fact that so  many people have reported that
reducing the amount of light entering the frame-illumination window
helps reduce flare. Looking at a diagram of the system it’s hard to
see how light from this source can get into optical path of the
rangefinder system.

Regards,

Doug Richardson