Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Eggleston shells as compost-from Jim Brick
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:18:46 -0800

>I'm not insulting anyone. Unless they wish to be insulted. I'm simply
>telling it like I see it. I'm too old to fall for that "PC" crap.
>
>What is meant by "being insulted?" Probably that you disagree with me but
>you don't want me to tell anyone what I really think.
>
>Jim

jim,

it's probably the use of terms like: "the guy is a schmuck," "that's crap,"
"his stuff is worthless,"
"the dumb artsy fartsy folks," "Garbage gets labeled art!" that some find
insulting. to you, this may simply be "telling it like it is," but to
others it may well sound like the arrogant ranting of a man who knows he's
right and has so little respect for other people and so little
understanding of their opinions that he can only respond with obscenities.

guy

Let's face it. The guy gets 36 out of 36. He's in "happy snap" heaven.
People go GA GA over his happy snaps while the rest of the world throws
them away.

I personally don't believe it has anything at all to do with the
photographs. If that photograph of the bend in the road with telephone pole
dead center was taken by "Joe Blow", it would be exactly what it is. A
meaningless photograph. Maybe directions to Aunt Mary's farm. "When you get
here, turn left. Go one mile and it's the white farm on the left."

But because of all of the hype this guy has created, people are led to
believe "this is it!" We have arrived because we can see the art in Egg's
photographs. B.S. There is no art. They feel enlightened because someone
told them they were special. They could "see" the art. A photograph of
someone's rump, while they lean over a railing? This is the stuff everybody
gets on the first two frames when they load film in their camera. If you
don't believe me, go to:

http://www2.hasselbladfoundation.o.se/hbf/egglestone.html

and click on "Photo Collection."

The proof of the pudding is in the tasting. In this case, the viewing.

Leica or not, the stuff is disgusting and the guy is a schmuck!

Jim

People like this (and there are lots of them - just tour the galleries and
art centers) think "I am an artist, therefore ANYTHING I do is art." The
reason people get like this is because others are too kind. In the
beginning, no one would say "that's crap," instead they said "oh yes, I can
see your thoughts," and babble on, ad nauseam, never telling the person
that his/her stuff is worthless. Instead, he/she gets an inflated ego and
all the dumb artsy fartsy folks clammer around and make a fuss. And voile!
Garbage gets labeled art!

Jim again