Subject: [Leica] Canadian Photographic Wilderness
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:22:50 -0000

Ted,
I don't know if you or others in that great country over there can get to
Ottawa easily but I note that a very good exhibition is going there soon.

Simon Norfolk - 'For Most Of It I Have No Words'
Ottawa, Canada. Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography
Sept 22nd/Jan 14, 2000/
'It is a commonly held belief, although a myth nonetheless, that the birds
refuse to sing amongst the remains of the death camp at Auschwitz; but it is
certainly one of the quietest places on God's earth. Perhaps this is because
it is somewhere from which He turned and walked away.'

Simon Norfolk has photographed sites of genocide. The names ring like a
death toll for the twentieth century - Rwanda, Cambodia, Vietnam, Auschwitz,
Dresden, Ukraine, Armenia, Namibia ... Charged with emotional intensity
Norfolk's photographs document the human traces left behind: a tooth Iying
in a field, or the worn steps of a death camp.

December 9th, 1998 marked the fiftieth anniversary of the United Nations
convention on genocide. As the twentieth century comes to a close this book
is a profound comment on its worst atrocities.

I saw the show in Liverpoool last year and found it very moving. extremely
elegant and poignant pictures.

regards,
Jem