Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V15 #69
From: "Paul T. Collura" <pcollura@epix.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 22:45:03 -0500

Jim Brick wrote:

> But because of all of the hype this guy has created, people are led to
> believe "this is it!" We have arrived because we can see the art in Egg's
> photographs. B.S. There is no art......
>
> People like this (and there are lots of them - just tour the galleries and
> art centers) think "I am an artist, therefore ANYTHING I do is art." The
> reason people get like this is because others are too kind. In the
> beginning, no one would say "that's crap," instead they said "oh yes, I can
> see your thoughts," and babble on, ad nauseam, never telling the person
> that his/her stuff is worthless. Instead, he/she gets an inflated ego and
> all the dumb artsy fartsy folks clammer around and make a fuss. And voile!
> Garbage gets labeled art!

Bravo, Jim!  This is what I tried to imply when I said his work is banal.  You have a better and more direct way with words than I do.  I don't buy the bullsh*t that his work is "hard to duplicate".  Give me a break.  Anyone who believes that must really be a drone photographer. His
photographs are the shots most people throw away as goofs.

Paul