Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Geddes Eggleston conclusions
From: John Brownlow <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 17:54:10 +0000

on 17/2/00 2:32 pm, christian becker at 8fps@gmx.de wrote:

> John wrote:
>> Eggleston is clearly, to me, engaged with both the medium and the real
>> world. That's why I look at his photographs. They teach me something.
>> That curve in the road, for example, teaches me that a curve in the road
>> photographed like that is interesting. Haunting, even. Once you've seen
> it,
>> you're going to think twice about photographing a landscape in the way
> you
>> photographed it before (at least, I am). No further justification is
>> needed.
>
> Well said, but wrong conclusion. To enjoy Eggleston's pictures is one
> thing (and I like them), but to copy on them is boring, unnecessary, a waste
> of
> time and energy. Don't get tought, get YOUR own view. If their influence is
> strong I'd say: avoid the 'masters', don't by their books, hide from their
> pictures, concentrate on YOURS instead. Try to develop your own view - be
> your own - ruthless - judge, regardless of whether someone else likes it or
> not. FREE yourself! Get rid of all that has been done before! There are no
> damn
> rules in photography.

I didn't say I'd copy it, I said I'd think twice about photographing it the
way I did before. Very different things. Very different. Not to reevaluate
your own vision in the light of others is the quickest way to a blind alley.
- --
John Brownlow

       photos:    http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
        music:    http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk