Subject: Re: [Leica] Cicadas droning
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 06:51:23 +0100

Hi Mike,

As the person who started this thread, let me just say that when I was
looking at Eggleston's pictures, I had no idea that he was a committed Leica
photographer, only that he used a Leica. In any event, my judgement of the
body of work I saw at the museum was totally independent of equipment
issues. Just because someone uses Leica does not mean automatic acceptance
on the LUG--at least it should not. I did not make my judgement based on a
web site; I saw the original pictures in a museum, well over 100 prints.

And you are right, of course it is wonderful that a lot of people disagreed
with my criticism of Eggleston and expressed their views. It is ironic that
this has been one of the longest threads in recent memory, even though I
ended my initial post by saying that I was not looking for responses, just
venting. But at least we have been debating photography and not cars or
guns.

Nathan

Mike Johnston wrote:

> Eggleston is one of a handful of people who I think of as "pure" Leica
> photographers. It amazes me that he'd elicit criticism on the LUG.
> (OTOH, there have been a number of really perceptive comments, too, from
> Guy and John and others, and I think it speaks well of the
> independent-mindedness of the LUG that several people can just come out
> and say, "well, you may not like it, but I do."

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland
e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch
General photo page: http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator
Belgium photo page: http://members.xoom.com/wajsman