Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M5
From: Barry Hobden <bv215@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:08:52 -0800 (PST)

Gabriele,

I, too, am at a loss to understand this. The M5 was one of the
best-engineered and best-built items in the Leica line (rivalling
the M3 in build quality). However, I suspect that the introduction
of too many *real* innovations in one model was just too much for
conservative-minded leicaphiles to accept. What puzzles me most is
the M5's general lack of popularity even today.

Here on the LUG, the M5 is essentially unacknowleged. It's like a
dirty little family secret that no one wants to discuss openly. I
suspect that when the collectors line up their M-bodies on the
shelves of their glass-fronted display cases, they don't like to
see anything standing a bit taller than the others.

Cheers,

Barry

( ;{