Subject: Re: [Leica] Eggleston
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:38:08 -0800

- --============_-1261396139==_ma============

LUGnuts -

This discussion has been very interesting and has at least gotten some of
us thinking.  I have ordered a book of Eggleston's photographs from
Amazon.com to see if I can figure out why some of the LUGnuts I admire also
admire Eggleston.  Unfortunately my art history courses were before his
time (I'm old!) and I'm not familiar with any of his work except what I've
seen on the web.

The book is the Hasselblad Award Book so I assume none of the photos are
with Leicas  :-)

Tina

tina,

i just saw that book last night at the local 'borders' - couldn't even look
at it as it was still in its plastic wrap. i thought about opening the
wrapper, just to get a look at work by the guy responsible for this
long-lived thread, but didn't. i did laugh to myself however: before this
debate, i had never seen an image by eggleston, never even heard his
name... maybe i'll have to go back and buy that book after all.

reading through these posts, the debate seems to divide us into two
distinct camps: those for whom 'photography' essentially means
photojournalism, and those who are willing to consider an 'art
photography,' however that comes to be defined. judging from the strong
comments and reactions, it would appear that for some the twain shall never
meet.

to me, the basic distinction hinges on meaning, whether that be termed
'message,' 'comprehensibility,' 'accessibility,' or whatever. some of us
apparently believe that without it, the photograph (poem/work of art) is a
failure. others, like myself, seeing meaning bearing photography
(poems/works of art) as one type of artistic expression - no better or
worse than any other, just distinct.

i have spent most of my adult life studying and teaching 'avant-garde'
literature and art to college students and 'senior citizens' in continued
learning programs, and am used to this type of debate. i habitually try to
get my students to accept if not the work itself, then at least the right
that such work exist, and that for some people it is considered art, though
they themselves may not like nor 'understand' it. sometimes i succeed,
sometimes i don't. i'm almost always assured a productive debate.

like nathan and many others on this list, i personally have no interest or
patience for goldfish in blenders, topless women playing cello at the
bottom of swimming pools or the like. but i can honestly say from my own
study and experience that, for every one of these works, there exists
another more serious, truly thought-provoking and valid work that will
leave a mark on our cultural consciousness and shape and define art in the
future, be it done with a paintbrush, a camera, or a transistor radio
filled with spumoni!

guy

LUGnuts -

This discussion has been very interesting and has at least gotten some
of us thinking.  I have ordered a book of Eggleston's photographs from
Amazon.com to see if I can figure out why some of the LUGnuts I admire
also admire Eggleston.  Unfortunately my art history courses were
before his time (I'm <underline>old!) </underline>and I'm not familiar