Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Eggleston: art photography
From: "Mitchell Baum" <mitchell@hypernet.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 10:01:39 -0500

	Tim, great poem!
	I never thought I'd get sucked into this, but I can't help myself. The
thing that interests and amazes me is all the passion, all the "crap" and
"puke." No I'm not wanting to tell everyone they shouldn't talk that way,
I'm just interested where all the emotion comes from. It sounds like what
people are almost saying or would want to say is Eggleston doesn't have a
right to photograph the way he does. I've felt this way too, but not as
much as when I was younger. But it is really a little silly unless you feel
that if he does it his way you can't do it yours, then its a reasonable
reaction.
	Now pretty much the only things I can't stand to be around is velvet slock
and rap music (much more intrusive.) With rap I can't stand the anger and
the way the rhythm seems to over power and drown out all other possibility.
So I have this either or  response to it. Either the stuff I love, or this
rap crap.
	But either or is a fallacy. My father thought that Impressionism had
killed art. But this is wrong. I like Monet and Rembrant. You don't have to
pick one or the other. And if you do you don't have to defend your choice.
I like green better than purple. Why? Because I do.
	A lot of people approach art as a test. What does it mean? Is it good? Is
it art? What does it say about me if I don't like it? Art isn't a test. Its
something to look at. If you don't get something pass by, or look longer,
whichever you want. You're probably aren't going to like everything. And
maybe your opinions will change.
	I wish mine changed more often then they do, but when they do its a great
pleasure. At first I hated Phillip Glass. Now I think his stuff is
beautiful. I like some Punk Rock now.
	For change to happen, you can't feel defensive. You have to know its all
right to like what you like, and this other thing doesn't take away from
yours, even if the artist says you have to choose one or the other. Don't
let someone else's work challenge everything you hold holy.
	By the way, the Eggleston curve in the road, I didn't like it. But now I
find its growing on me. When I looked at it I said this is nothing. Now I
remember it, and strangely, I don't know why, I'm beginning to like it in
memory whereas I didn't like looking at it. Go figure.
	So my two cents. Fun.
			Mitchell